I write about photography a fair bit and wanted to make these posts easier to find without the effort of making a separate page as I started to do with recipes. WordPress display posts short code came to the rescue.
- The Moocher’s new camera (4/28/2018) - After several years of life with the Sony Alpha 65, the moocher felt it was time for a new lens. So off to Imaging Resource to see what was happening in the digital imaging world. As I was shopping for the Alpha 65, Sony had just introduced its NEX line of cameras. The Alpha series … Continue reading The Moocher’s new camera
- Is there a real camera in your future? (3/29/2017) - Recently, a friend asked her social media peeps for camera recommendations for a first camera that is not a point and shoot. Her expected uses are garden macrophotography, the occasional photo of the moon, and urban/country trekking photography, including wildlife photography (BellaBob?). And of course, photographing her photogenic dogs when a phone camera just won’t … Continue reading Is there a real camera in your future?
- Adobe CC Lightroom with iTHings (10/25/2016) - Intro Those of you who follow me on Facebook and Twitter know that I take a lot of snapshots with my iPhone or iPad and that some of them actually look good. The tools I use with my phone are Apple Photos for quick hacks and Adobe Lightroom CC for more thoughtful work. One problem … Continue reading Adobe CC Lightroom with iTHings
- A kind word for Sony (8/7/2016) - Last weekend, I attempted to apply a firmware update to my Sony Alpha SLT-65V interchangeable lens camera. I’m not sure why. I saw that there was an update available and thought I’d apply it. In the past I’d had greyhound legs splinch when filming with the Sony so I used the iPhone 6+ to take … Continue reading A kind word for Sony
- Adobe Lightroom and Apple Photos (12/31/2015) - The Apple application architecture that seamlessly integrates your Mac with your iPhone and iPad is a strength of the Apple product line largely unknown to folks who have not bought into iThings. In the past, Apple offered Aperture to serious amateur and professional photographers and iPhoto for recreational photographers. With Mavericks, Apple replaced the earlier … Continue reading Adobe Lightroom and Apple Photos
- Introducing Adobe Lightroom (5/2/2015) - Apple is replacing Aperture and iPhoto with a new application Photos to replace both. Is it time to make the move to Adobe Photoshop Lightroom? A presentation at Hampton Roads Digital Shutterbugs prompted me to reexamine Lightroom after an initial attempt to evaluate the product went down in flames. This article describes my experiences during the … Continue reading Introducing Adobe Lightroom
- Introducing Speedy (4/1/2015) - Not another greyhound! No. That’s him on the masthead image. Speedy is part of the Chrysler Museum’s (http://chrysler.org) permanent collection. Speedy is proudly on display in the center of one of the sculpture galleries so you can walk around him to admire his physique. Speedy is cast in aluminum and handsomely anodized to a nice … Continue reading Introducing Speedy
- Bambi Stalks Cousin Teagan (6/11/2014) - I made this crop from a Facebook image that second cousin Teagan Gray posted. While on her June 9 morning run, Teagan found this little guy crouched in the middle of the trail. Mom was keeping a wary eye on Teagan from the tree line. I used Apple Aperture to give this critter a … Continue reading Bambi Stalks Cousin Teagan
- New camera (12/28/2012) - The picture below is one of the first I took with my new camera, a Sony Alpha 65. The Sony is somewhat different than a traditional SLR. It has a fixed mirror that transmits most of the light to the main sensor. Part of the light is reflected to a second sensor that drives an … Continue reading New camera