This page is an archive of recent posts about home audio.
- The Moocher bakes a Raspberry Pi (8/9/2017) - In poking about audio sites, I discovered Roon Labs Roon music server product. Roon is the music server I’ve been looking for for 20 years. Roon Labs has its origins in the Meridian Audio Solooes product over in the UK. This is a highly regarded embed music server organized in proper client server fashion. This … Continue reading The Moocher bakes a Raspberry Pi
- Introducing Roon Audio (7/22/2017) - I’ve been using Plex as my audio player for a while. Noodling around on the Internet looking Raspberry Pi stuff, I stumbled across HiFiBerry and from there Roon Audio. Roon Labs is a spinoff from Meridian of their multi-room digital audio player. These folks have done something right by starting with a client server open … Continue reading Introducing Roon Audio
- nVidia Shield TV First Impressions (12/5/2016) - A few days ago, I wrote about setting up an nVidia Sheild TV set top box and configuring Plex Media Server on it. Now that I’ve had a chance to live with it for a few days, I thought it would be appropriate to share my first impressions of this piece of kit. Why nVidia … Continue reading nVidia Shield TV First Impressions
- New Kid On the Block (12/3/2016) - For some time I’ve been wanting to move media serving off of my Mac Mini because the design of the available servers requires the machine to be running and logged in which vastly increases its attack surface. I’d been looking for a number of alternatives, particularly one that was energy efficient, had a low footprint, … Continue reading New Kid On the Block
- Hi Fi Updates (2/22/2016) - Last spring, I boxed up the stereo and put it in storage for the duration of the lounge remodel. When I unboxed it and powered up the system, my trusty Conrad Johnson PV1 preamp failed. After considering its age, accumulated problems, and the technical evolution occurring since I had bought it in 1980, I elected … Continue reading Hi Fi Updates
- Lounge Audio and Video (2/20/2012) - Last summer I finally acquired a 21st century telly, a Panasonic plasma TV. My old Hitachi 27″ was refusing to die but it couldn’t do modern audio and video tricks so I upgraded. That was just the beginning of this adventure which continued with image adjustment and routing of audio over to the hifi. This last trick … Continue reading Lounge Audio and Video
- Audio Bit Schlepping (1/29/2012) - I’ve been an audio hobbiest for 40 years. I began by building a Dynaco Stereo 70 power amplifier and PAS-3 preamp from kits in 1967. Over the years a Conrad Johnson PV-1 preamp, Gas Ampzilla power amplifier, and Dhalquist DQ-10 speakers have come to stay. Sources have come and gone over the years with a … Continue reading Audio Bit Schlepping